Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DIY wooden sign

I think I mentioned on the post with Cade's Birthday Video that I had a few DIY crafts that I did for his party. I thought I'd share them here because the options for these particular crafts are endless (evidenced by the fact that I have already started another one just like it!)

This particular project was brought on by this tutorial.

What you will need: 
-piece of wood any size you would like
-paint
-printer
-x-acto knife

I bought a piece of wood (12x12) at Joann's for $4.99. Cheap and easy! I sprayed it with primer first. 


Of course, I didn't take a picture of me painting it yellow (I just bought a small bottle of acrylic paint from Joann's, too.), but I gave it a good 3 to 4 coats. 

Next,  you will cover the wood with contact paper. Pick out whatever you want it to say and print it off of your computer (or your sil and bil's computer if you are like me :) ) Then comes the fun part of cutting out the letters. Of course, the contact paper will stay on the wood except for the part you have cut out, making a stencil of sorts. I then spray painted over it with the primer again. 


After you tear the contact paper off, there will probably be some spots you need to touch up, so I just touched it up with a small brush and some white acrylic paint. After it was completely dry, I took some sandpaper to it to distress it some. Voila! 

Easy, peasy and I told you the options are endless!!!

I've got a couple more crafts headed your way.. just as easy, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! You are such a talented mama! Don't tell me you made that other sign above with his pictures on there?!?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...