Monday, October 15, 2012

Project Pinterest: DIY baby wipes

I am linking up with AP @ ILYMTC for Project Pinterest again today. This time I did something besides baking.. yay for me! I am actually making my own baby wipes! I pinned a recipe, but didn't use the one I pinned. Instead I used all Melaleuca products. They are all non-toxic and I know they will be safe for my babes! I got a recipe from an email that was sent to me by a senior director with Melaleuca. 


Mela Baby Wipes:
2 cups warm water
2 capfuls Solumel (the lemon smells nice)
2 TBS Renew lotion (you can use more)
2 TBS Renew bath oil
2 TBS Koala Pals body wash or hair wash
Wisk all together.
Using a container similar in size to a Folgers plastic coffee container. Cut a full roll of paper towels (a higher quality paper towel, like Bounty, is better because it is thicker) in half lengthwise and put that in the mixture. Let it all absorb and then pull out the cardboard core. Put the top on the coffee container and cut a small hole in the top of the plastic coffee container to dispense them out one by one. Save the other half of the paper towels for the next batch.

The only thing I don't like is that the folgers container is so ugly! Next time I will be figuring out a way to get it into a regular wipes container. I think it would work if you pretty much unrolled the paper towel before hand and folded it like an accordian. I'll probably let it soak in the coffee container and then transfer it to the wipes container. They do smell really good and are SUPER soft and leave your skin soft due to the lotion in it, which I think will be great for a diaper rash! I'm anxious to see how easy they are to pull apart, because if you have had an infant (and especially a male one) you can't leave them uncovered very long! It is definitely cheaper and the way we go through wipes around here, it would be nice to be able to make them from here on out! 

**I was not compensated by anyone to use these products. I just love them and wanted to use them :)

9 comments:

Ashley Paige said...

Brilliant, I love this! Thanks so much for linking up!

Laura said...

I'm impressed! You should totally add some scrapbook paper & modge podge to that folgers can! :)

chesley said...

first off, you are CRAZY :)!! second, if you're going to do this, you simply must use Viva paper towels! They're the best!!!

Anonymous said...

My only question is why solumel. Its safe in theory but I wouldn't use it on a baby's sensitive areas especially a little girl. It is one of the more abrasive products though nothing like commercial products out there. Why not their melaluca oil( tea tree) or some of their good smelling hand soaps. Or tough and tender for that matter just a thought.

Innocence.Jaded said...

I agree... as great as solumel smells and I love all that it doesn't, Its a STAIN remover!! And same goes for tough and tender its an all purpose cleaner. Neither of which belong on babies delicate and sensitive diaper parts. The plain Melaluca Oil would be a better choice to cure diaper rash. You want the nice lemon smell I'd go find some essential oil to match the smell and use that. Knowing how all the products work, I would skip the bath oil and the solumel, and just use the body wash and a squirt or two of the lotion, +/- a drop or two of Melaluca oil.

Have you tried using the wipes yet? Even if just on your own hands/face??

Innocence.Jaded said...

I agree... as great as solumel smells and I love all that it doesn't, Its a STAIN remover!! And same goes for tough and tender its an all purpose cleaner. Neither of which belong on babies delicate and sensitive diaper parts. The plain Melaluca Oil would be a better choice to cure diaper rash. You want the nice lemon smell I'd go find some essential oil to match the smell and use that. Knowing how all the products work, I would skip the bath oil and the solumel, and just use the body wash and a squirt or two of the lotion, +/- a drop or two of Melaluca oil.

Have you tried using the wipes yet? Even if just on your own hands/face??

Kelli Kegley said...

To anonymous and Innocence Jaded.. sorry I am just now responding here. I'm not sure if you'll see this or not, but thought I'd respond just in case!

I actually got the recipe from a person that works for Melaleuca, so I would assume that she probably knows what she is talking about. You absolutely do NOT want to put the pure melaleuca oil on a bad diaper rash. It will burn terribly bad.. I know from experience! I have used the wipes and they have never been harmful to me at all.

Unknown said...

My fiance is getting stationed across country so we're going to be traveling for two weeks, stopping to see family along the way, and I absolutely must have baby wipes on long road trips. I'm almost out of coconut oil, which I planned to use from another recipe, and I hadn't thought of using my melaleuca products. This is perfect! I don't have the baby wash or the bath oil so I'm substituting with melaleuca antibacterial hand soap and a bit of coconut oil. It smells amazing! Thank you for pissing!

Unknown said...

Questions: do these have to be kept warm? and how long until they get mildewy?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...