Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Off to a good start

I have not been one to make New Year's resolutions in the past. I think it is because I didn't have two kids thrown into the mix! This year, I am making some resolutions! The past few months (as evidenced here) have been overwhelming to say the least and I knew a lot of it was my own fault. The rest was just adjusting to adding another person to our family! 

My main goal in 2013 is to become more ORGANIZED. And not in a, throw it in the closet where I can't see it kind of way. I want to have a spot for everything. I am going to do this one room at a time so that I don't get overwhelmed and give up. I'd like to allow at least 1 to 2 weeks per room so that I am not spending all my time trying to do it in a hurry. Some rooms won't need that long. Others might need longer! 


I have started a cleaning schedule, an exercise schedule and I have in my mind a basic schedule for what Connor's day will look like. I know a lot of people laugh at me and my schedule I had for Connor as a baby and now Cade, but it really is the only way I can function! 


Cleaning schedule: I have actually adopted the cleaning schedule from Clean Mama (love her tips) and started that this week. So far, I have loved it! I have felt on top of things and have had more free time (read: time to play with the boys that I don't feel like I need to be doing housework) than I have in months! I make sure the house is the way I want it before I go to bed at night so that I have a clean slate in the morning. I know that sounds like common sense, and it is, but I had not been implementing it and it was showing! 

"Say cheese, Cade. Say Cheese!", followed by "Mommy, I like your new toy!" Love him so much!

Exercise schedule: I am biting the bullet and training for a half marathon. I want to do it before I turn 30 and I want to do it before we have another sweet baby! Which one will come first? Who knows?! I am thinking 30 will :)! So as I was telling my sister in law, April, why not train now? Right before summer! Killing two birds with one stone. Knocking something off my bucket list and hopefully getting more fit before we head to the beach! It is a pretty heavy schedule with only Mondays and Fridays off. Thankfully, we got a membership to our local gym for Christmas, so I can go during the day and the boys can go play in the FREE!!! childcare room. They have been the past two days and Connor really had a good time. I am struggling a little bit with guilt (I never knew guilt until I became a mommy) for leaving them in there, but I know I will be a better mom for it. More active, a little bit of "me" time.....Hopefully I will quit feeling guilty before long! I hadn't run in 2 months, so I was nervous how I would do that first run. Amazingly, I picked up right where I left off at 3 miles. Now I just need to increase my speed before I increase my mileage.

literally dying over the sweetness that he is in this hat. DYING.


 Connor's Daily schedule: If you have been around Connor at all in the last month or so, you will know that we have, without a doubt, entered into the 3s. I had heard that 3 is so much worse than 2 and I have to agree. On top of that he has to be one of the most strong willed children I have ever met. I love that about him and know that he will go far with that personality, but mix that in with all of the regular emotions a child has at this age and you have one tired momma! I knew the first thing that had to go was the insane amount of TV/Movies he was watching. I don't even know how much he was watching before and even if I did, I think I would be too embarrassed to share! He now has a 1 hr limit a day. I try to spread them out for when I am feeding Cade, because otherwise he wants to be right where we are and Cade doesn't eat very well when that happens. The other thing I want to implement is one "teaching" lesson a day. Making it fun, of course! I bought some Leap Pad books out of the dollar bin in Target and we will do those as well as use the art easel he got for Christmas. I also want to make sure I carve out two separate times for me to sit down and play with him (and him alone) and do exactly what he wants to do. It might not be for a long time (10 min ea time or so), but I think that is so important for his development as well as his behavior. I have to make sure that love tank is full!! Lastly, I have started a sticker chart (also Leap Pad from Target dollar bins) for good behavior. Every time he listens to me without whining or throwing a fit, he gets a sticker. I don't care if it is something simple, I want to focus wholeheartedly on that good behavior. When he throws a fit or doesn't listen, we remove a sticker from the chart (totes my mom's idea. Holla, Mom!). Once the chart is completely full, he gets to go somewhere fun with JUST Mommy and Daddy! Don't worry about Cade.. he will be spoiled rotten with whoever he stays with!

What about y'all? Do you use schedules or do you think I am nuts?!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...