Tuesday, January 21, 2014

In the blink of an eye

The moment the general public realizes you are pregnant, you get an onslaught of unsolicited advice. It can be annoying, but in general I think people mean the best. For the most part ;)


I try not to give any because I do know how it bothers others more than it does me, but at the same time I feel myself always thinking of something that I wish someone had told me. 


The one thing that was told to me the most often, though, was that time would go by in the blink of an eye. And, goodness, that is true. I find myself always getting a little emotional about it around birthday time. And having birthdays that are making me the mom of a 4 year old and a 2 year old isn't just going over my head. That just sounds....old. And honestly, impossible. 


I can take myself back to having a 2 year old and being 9 months pregnant almost instantly. Because it truly feels like just yesterday. As I curled Cade up in my lap to rock him last night (which he never does by the way.. he was exhausted), I was taken back to when Connor was his age wanting me to rock him every night. I would curl him around my big huge belly and rock him until he fell asleep. So asleep, that I was able to get up and carry him to his bed (in another room...we had already moved the glider into the nursery) with him asleep. Matt and I would always laugh and talk about how big he was.


Thankfully, even though he is too big to curl up like that anymore, he still will. Nothing like having a little love bug (and a certified momma's boy). 


Rocking Cade also took me back to all of my sweet time with him while nursing. Man, I miss it. I didn't think I would seeing how I was so ready to be done at the time we quit. But, it granted me that special one on one time with him that couldn't be interrupted. Time that doesn't come as easily now. Mainly because he pretty much loses it if "bubba" isn't around. We aren't at the stage yet where he appreciates some alone time with us. We will get it one day, I'm sure! 


I haven't  thought much about 2014 and what kind of goals I have for the year, but something about yesterday just made me realize I need to focus on the now. Take each day at a time, because I will never get this day back. Tomorrow we will all be a day older (myself included, although I'm pretty sure that is going to stop in the next few years. HA!) and I want to know that I was present. Not only for them, but for me. Because, just like everybody tells you, it goes by in the blink of an eye. 

2 comments:

April said...

I so agree with you on being present. I am trying harder to do that as well. Love the sweet pics of your boys!

Bri Runde said...

It really does go so fast! Your boys, in their matching outfits, too cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...