Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Ebb and Flow

Parenting is a funny thing. As soon as you start to feel comfortable in your current stage, something changes. It might be with what you are dealing with now, but more than likely it is something completely new. 2 1/2 has proven to be a more challenging stage for me. 


Don't get me wrong. There are even more positives, but I am human and sometimes I get overwhelmed with the "not listening to me" talk that we had 20 times yesterday. Currently we seem to be doing better, which is probably why I'm even able to talk about it. It's easy now to look back and think that I just need to chill. Keep on disciplining when needed, of course, but quit letting myself become overwhelmed by it.
We all have good days and bad days. That is just part of this life on earth. However, one thing I am not sure I have been doing enough of is focusing on the positive in the midst of working on the negative. I personally think that is just as big of an attitude changer as disciplining the negative is. I can teach him the "donts" all day long, but why not reward him for the "dos"? 


Like I said earlier, it is easy to say this now while the "too big for your britches" attitude is on a mini vacay (side note: I told him that last week and he looked down at his pants and said, "Mommy, my britches aren't too big!" HA!). I am hoping by putting it out there I'll be more likely to remember that just like in life, there is an ebb and flow to parenting. 



If anything, it sure does make you appreciate those sweet moments that much more!


1 comment:

Simmons Family said...

Girl I know exactly what you mean! We need to get together and talk since we both have 2 boys very close to the same age Im pretty sure we are going trough the same things! Hang in there and the best advice I ever heard and will pass along is "let your yes be yes and your no-no" once they understand your not backing down it will make for much better days!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...