Thursday, May 5, 2011

Our Weekend trip!

For the past 2 or 3 years our friends Carrie and Hunter host a crawfish boil at their house. We have never been able to go because they live in Arkansas, but this year we decided to make the trip. I am so glad we did as we had such a great time. Matt even made it a point to tell me how much fun he had.





Before the crawfish boil, we made a pit stop in Searcy to spend time with my dad and celebrate my brother's birthday. Matt found out Friday morning that he was going to get off a little early, so we actually got to leave at 12:30 and make it in time to surprise Lance for dinner! We went to a Japanese steak house and I was excited to see how Connor would react. He wasn't in the best of moods (kind of the theme for the weekend) and pretty much gave the guy a "this is the best you've got?" kind of look. See?



But then when I had him try some of the rice, he perked up a little bit.



I had to run to WalMart to get something before we headed to Dad's and decided to buy Connor one of those big bouncy balls he loves to play with. He was so excited he just couldn't handle being able to just see it or touch it. He had to hold it.




He slept so good that night (I'm thinking our horrible pack n play experiences are over! yay!) and even slept later than I did on Saturday morning. He played a lot with Papaw (Connor calls him Ba-paw. It is so cute) and Ms. Eva and I got some cute pictures of them before it was time for us to head to Little Rock.








He, of course, wanted to hold the big ball again and he held it the entire 1 hr drive to the Scott's house. He even fell asleep holding it!





Once we got to Carrie and Hunter's, I was hoping he would be his normal crazy self since he slept the whole way, but he wasn't. He was abnormally quiet and extremely clingy to me. It took him about 2 hours to warm up and once he did it was time for him to leave. Go figure! Crystal, Ian and Chloe came and picked him up to take him to Mom's house so that Matt and I could spend some more time with our friends and my family could get their Connor fix in :) Mom said it was so funny because he kept walking around somewhat confused and at one point just stopped walking and stared at the fireplace with the huge frown he is known for, but never cried. Anyway, back to the main event! The crawfish was amazing. I did not suck the heads, because, well.. it just grosses me out! I don't want to put my mouth on their eyes!!! It did take me forever to peel one, but it was well worth it.










Oh, this picture just makes me want it right now! Crawfish, oranges, lemons, potatoes, corn on the cob. YUM!




Hunter, our broiler extraordinaire and his stirring stick




Close up of the stick. I just laughed when I saw it. Especially when Hunter said he sterilized it!




The setup




Fishing the afternoon away!



He eyed these girls and their car the whole afternoon. He finally got a chance to ride and liked it for the 2 seconds it took me to get my camera out. Once I did, he was done! I can't wait to get him one of these little cars!






The group of girls, minus Lana, who had to leave due to the in-laws visiting :(


Lindsey, Rachel, Lori, Carrie and me




It was so good to get to be around this group again. I love that we just automatically catch up and am already looking forward to the next time we get to see them.






Sunday morning we went to church with my cousin and I am so glad we did. The entire church service was led by kids 8 and under. It was the most precious thing I have ever seen. They led prayer, singing (with their arm swinging back and forth), and 3 boys even had a lesson. But the SWEETEST of all was my little cousin, Ian, leading the closing prayer. It was precious. I was so glad I was there to see it. It seems like yesterday he was the little chunk letting me rock him and now he is about to be 7 and saying the closing prayer at church!






After church we had a quick lunch with Lance and my friend, Carrie who met us at church. I had not seen Carrie since Connor was 3 months old, so it was so good to see her. I just wish we had more time! As soon as we left, the monsoon came and pretty much followed us the entire way home. To say the ride home was miserable would be an understatement.






This is how hard it was raining the first 3/4 of the way home. Awful.






I didn't think it could get worse until I started to feel drops of water on my leg and realized our roof was leaking. AWESOME!




This pretty much sums up the way Connor felt about it all. He was sound asleep until we had to come to a stand still because a tractor trailer had slid sideways on the interstate. The tractor trailers on I-40 are RIDICULOUS. They drive way too fast in completely perfect weather, and it's the same in the rain.


There was nothing we could do to make him feel better. I got back there with him and that just made it worse. He just wanted out! I tried singing and while that did stop him from crying, this is the look he gave me the entire time.


Really makes you feel good about your singing voice, huh?




So although Connor isn't the best car rider (he may or may not have inherited that from his mother..or so I hear!), it is always worth it. Matt made a scary, but true, point on the way home about the Florida trip is actually 2 hours longer than the Arkansas trip. I also made the point that I'm pretty sure Grandaddy and BeBe would LOVE to ride with him! haha... JUST KIDDING! I know if I have the urge to just take him out and hold him then grandparents really will! Too bad we can't just ride to Florida the way we did growing up. Take all the seats out of the back of the van, throw some blankets down, plug in a TV and Nintendo and hit the road! Pretty sure you would get arrested for that these days! Did y'all ever do anything like that on family trips?

2 comments:

the workaholic momma said...

Yummy - that crawfish boil looks awesome!!! I'm with you though on the eyes - I'll leave those where they are:) Looks like you guys had a great weekend minus the ride home (what a mess:() I LOVE the pictures of Connor with the ball - he is so adorable!

Lana Summitt said...

So glad we got to see y'all! Sorry it was such a short visit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...