Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baby food

I started Connor on baby food around 5 months. At first I was just giving him the jarred Gerber brand, but thought I might save some money by making it at home. I was really nervous about making it because you have to make sure it is the right consistency for their little tummies. I started off with sweet potatoes and had so much fun making them and haven't looked back since! I have always loved cooking for Matt and seeing him enjoy his meal and in a way it was no different with Connor. I really look forward to giving him a little bit of what we are eating in the (way to near) future. Anyway, I wanted to do a quick post on this because I thought maybe my little blog could help someone out one day. I searched high and low on the internet for a blog post about making baby food (besides wholesomebabyfood.com) and couldn't find one. Therefore, I decided to document the making of baby sweet peas, with pictures Pioneer Woman style (minus the amazing photography skills and hilarious comments in between!).



First, I bought these at Kroger on the 10/$10 sale. I got about 4 jars out of one bag, therefore 50% cheaper than Gerber!

You have to read the ingredients and make sure there isn't anything extra added, like salt.



Cook as directed on package.





Once done, put in a chopper or blender. With sweet peas, I added some breastmilk (or formula if you don't nurse) to thin it.


And if you are like me and have a chopper that is deafening, wear headphones and do it outside so that you don't harm yours or your childs hearing!




Then you spoon the finished product into these nifty little containers I bought at Babies R Us. You can put them in the freezer, which is what I did. You can only keep the food in the fridge for 48 hrs and since I make everything for a whole week, I end up freezing a lot.


Voila! Isn't that easy?! You know what makes it even easier? When your awesome mom gives you her awesome blender that is quiet and purees EVERYTHING in like .2 seconds. Thanks MiMi!!!!

****Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on DirecTV or Direct TV, whichever it is. We are switching Monday!!!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

I love the ear muffs!! And yes life is easier with a quiet blender. Last x-mas my mom got me the Baby Cook. I think I appreciated it more because my blender was duke!

Susan said...

Wow! You are such a good momma! I will pass this info onto my young friends with babies:) Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...