Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The sweetest and hardest part of my day

One of the sweetest times of my day is when I rock Connor for his naps. Lately the only way he will go to sleep is with his cheek pressed up against mine while I sing Near the Cross right in his ear. And I love it. Being able to praise God and hold one of His miracles in your arms is something I will forever cherish. I love how I can just feel his little body relax into mine all the while he is holding onto my shirt or arm for comfort. Makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. I just wish I could bottle it up, because I know time is going to fly by. (another thing I wish I could bottle up? Baby breath. No one told me how absolutely sweet baby breath is!)

(talking to his toy turtle. Look at that little mouth! So serious about what he is saying!)

The hardest part comes 45 minutes later. No matter what time I have laid him down, 45 minutes later he is awake. Sometimes I can go in and put the paci in his mouth and he will go right back to sleep. Other times he spits it out and keeps crying. Those are the times that I don't know what to do. Usually when I pick him up to try to rock him back to sleep, he will cry even harder. I guess I really need to let him cry it out, but it is SO hard! I have had many people tell me that when they let their child cry it out it ended up being the best thing they ever did for the child... I wonder if they would come do it for me?! haha. I know he needs the full 2 hours because he ends up being slightly fussy the rest of the day. Today was SO bad that instead of laying him down for his late afternoon nap I cuddled with him in our bed and we both took a nap. I know. Not helping the situation, but we have NEVER done that before and I am pretty sure we both needed the comfort. I think I am going to try to let him cry it out tomorrow and see how that goes. That is the only thing I haven't done, so I guess I have to give it a shot.

The positive of his sleeping patterns is that he has always been a good night sleeper. I've never had any problems getting him to go back to sleep after waking up to nurse and for that I am EXTREMELY thankful. I am not worth anything without sleep! Last night was the first night in his 11 week life that he didn't nurse at all. He woke up at 5, but I could tell he wasn't hungry. I rocked him for maybe 10 minutes and he was out. In fact, I had to wake him up at 7 to eat! He went from 10:30 to 7.. I couldn't believe it, but one look in the mirror at my "girls" told me it had happened. HA! I am guessing that it will be any day now that he sleeps all the way through, but I think it will take a little longer for me to get restful sleep for that long :) One more reason I love the video monitor!




I pray that tonight is like last night and that tomorrow's naps are MUCH better and I won't have to try the crying it out method!


2 comments:

Ashley E. said...

That is so sweet! Sometimes to get Addi to go to sleep I will have to basically wrap her really tight around my body so she can't move and then rock her. They love being close to us! Good luck with the naps! Addi is usually a really good napper, but yesterday she only got about an hour total of naptime and she was such a grump. If she does it again today, we are definitely crying it out! :)

Lana Summitt said...

You can do it! Let him cry! That does not make you a bad mommy! That makes you a good mommy! (but we already knew you were a good mommy :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...